Baxterley Village

Before 1909

Watercolour and Pencil Illustration 1898

Watercolour and Pencil Illustration 1898 by the Reverend Hugh Bacon’s daughter.

Watercolour and Pencil Illustration 1898
<
  • Watercolour and Pencil Illustration 1898

    Watercolour and Pencil Illustration 1898

    Watercolour and Pencil Illustration 1898 by the Reverend Hugh Bacon’s daughter.

  • Image 1 Alt

    'THE PADDY LINE' c. 1870

    William Dugdale and investors in the new railway called ‘The Paddy Line’ cut the first turf as the work begins.

    This railway with its steam engines replaced the old system of taking coal from the Stratford Pits to the canal wharf at Grendon.

  • BAXTERLEY POST OFFICE c. 1900

    Baxterley Post Office used to be on the common at the end of a row of terraces close to Baxterley Windmill

  • THE HOUSES UNDERGROUND c. 1910

    Thought to have been part of things at Baxterley Hall and probably built in the late 18th century.

    They are commonly considered to have been ‘smoke houses’ but do not match the construction of other known examples and their true purpose is unknown

  • Rev HUGH BACON c. 1900

    Photograph of Hugh Bacon who is commemorated with a detailed marble relief of the same pose at Baxterley Church, possibly even taken from this photograph as it appears much the same

  • HUGH BACON with PONY AND TRAP 1914

    Hugh was Rector at Baxterley Church for 53 years from 1854 till 1907 when he died.
    The photograph is inscribed ”My Jubillee as Parson of Baxterley 31st December 1904”

  • BAXTERLEY WINDMILL c. 1900

    Baxterley Windmill was bul tby ‘J.B.” in 1793, became disused by 1900 and finally blew down in a storm in April 1946

  • TEA PARTY AT THE VICARAGEc. 1900

    The Vicarage was built on Main Road as is still there today as a private residence

  • POST OFFICE AND WINDMILL c. 1900

    Delightful photograph showing school children by the post office with the windmill in the background

  • BAXTERLEY CLUB DAY by the ROSE INN c.1900

    The Village Hall, the Smithy and the village shop at Ivy Bank can all be seen in the background.

  • ''POST MILL'' C.1890

    Originally though to be of the Baxterley Mill, it is now fairly certain that this is actually the only known photograph of a mill of the same ”Post Mill ” construction that stood at Pinwall.

>